I’m calling this my favourite breakfast, but I could honestly eat it for every meal of the day! But I didn’t always love tofu. The first time I used it, I didn’t press, drain or marinate it. It was bland. It was watery. It was basically inedible. Now, however, tofu is one of my favourite foods… and this is my favourite way to eat it. The beauty of tofu is that it takes on the flavour of whatever you add to it. That’s why its so popular in vegan cooking. The range of spices and seasonings flavour the tofu beautifully and effortlessly.
The recipe comes together in about 10-15 minutes, and is super easy. Simply crumble the tofu, add the seasonings, and warm through! It is perfect served with a creamy avocado and a crunchy bagel, resulting in not only the perfect balance of flavours, but of textures too. I like to use Tofoo* brand tofu for this and pretty much all recipes. It has a great texture and doesn’t need pressing, so you can use it straight from the pack. Other brands may need to be pressed before use. This removes all the excess moisture from the tofu, allowing it to absorb all the lovely flavours you’re going to add to it. Click here for advice on pressing tofu and other handy tofu prep tips. And then, go cook this recipe. I promise, you won’t regret it!
*I am not affiliated in any way with the Tofoo brand, I just really like the product!
My Favourite Breakfast: Scrambled Tofu and Avocado | Serves 4 as a breakfast or 2 as a main meal
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- About 450g tofu, pressed and drained if necessary
- 1 large avocado
- 2 bagels
- Dairy free butter/spread
To season the tofu:
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp each of the following:
- paprika (smoked is delicious in this recipe)
- garlic powder
- onion powder
- black salt (kala namak)
- black pepper to taste
- Place a large, deep frying pan or wok over a medium heat and add the oil. When hot, crumble in the tofu and cook, stirring, for 2-3 minutes. Add all the tofu seasonings and continue to cook, stirring, for a further 2-3 minutes until warmed through.
- Meanwhile, toast the bagel and spread with vegan butter or spread. Slice the avocado.
- Serve the tofu over the bagel, topped with the sliced avocado.