Tomorrow is Pancake Day, or Shrove Tuesday! Did you know, pancakes are associated with the day preceding Lent, because they are a way to use up rich foods such as eggs, milk, and sugar, before the fasting season of the 40 days of Lent? But there are no eggs to be found in these delicious vegan pancakes! Here in the UK, you’ll most often see crepe-style pancakes being consumed on Shrove Tuesday, rather than the smaller, fluffier American-style pancake. The main difference is in the thickness of the batter, so if you want a thicker pancake add less milk to the mix!
My favourite thing about pancakes is that there are limitless topping combinations to try! For this recipe I’ve chosen three awesome flavour combos: Bakewell, PB&J and banoffee. And because I know you’ll want to dig in as possible, I’ve made them all super quick and easy to do!
Pancakes can be tricky to make, but I have some fool-proof tips to help you make perfect pancakes every time:
- Make sure the pan is hot hot hot! If the pan is not hot enough, the pancakes are more likely to stick!
- Use a non-stick pan and a plastic spatula. A metal spatula may scratch the pan and remove the non-stick coating! For more info on how to keep your non-stick pan non-stick, click here.
- And finally, do not attempt to flip the pancake too soon! Wait until the pancake is completely cooked on the underside. You’ll be able to tell by looking at it: as the pancake cooks it will appear to change colour from the edges, moving gradually towards the middle. Once this has happened to the entire pancake, wait another half a minute or so, then gently loosen the edges with your plastic spatula. Start to loosen closer to the middle, until you can easily turn your pancake over! With a little practice, this will get easier every time!
Vegan Pancakes with Three Incredible Toppings!
For the pancakes (makes 3-4 large pancakes):
- 1 cup plain flour
- 2 cups milk
- 2 tsp agave or maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 0.5 tsp salt
- Oil, for frying
For the Bakewell topping (per person):
- 1-2 scoops of vegan vanilla ice cream
- A few fresh cherries (remember to take out the pips!)
- A small handful of flaked almonds
For the PB&J topping (per person):
- 1-2 heaped tbsp of strawberry jam
- A dollop of peanut butter
- A few fresh strawberries
For the banoffee topping (per person):
- 1 small banana, sliced
- A good squirt of vegan squirty cream
- A drizzle of golden syrup
- To make the pancakes, mix all the pancake ingredients together in a large mixing bowl. Place a non-stick pan over a medium heat and add a little oil. When the pan is very hot, pour in just under half a cup of pancake mix. Swirl it around the pan quickly before it starts to set. To fill in any gaps, pour on a little more pancake batter. Leave the pancake for several minutes until completely cooked on the underside (see tips above). Carefully loosen the edges with a plastic spatula and turn the pancake over. Cook for a few more minutes until golden brown.
- Stack your pancakes and choose your topping. Arrange the topping ingredients however you like. This part is almost as fun as the eating! Serve immediately.